There are basically two sides of Santorini. To the west is Caldera that looks into the volcanoes and cliffs, offering an amazing view of the island landscape. Towards the east is the beach side where you can stay in towns at sea level and enjoy the most exciting holiday. Here’s what you need to know about these sides, including the pros and cons, to help you make the right decision.
Caldera Side of Santorini
Santorini Caldera view towns are mainly Fira, Oia, Imerovigli, and Firastefani. These towns are strategically perched on top of hills, with whitewashed buildings and domes. Fira is the capital that offers so many activities that will get you busy throughout your trip. You can visit archeological sites, museums, volcano, churches, or go shopping. Getting to the Caldera towns is by an airport or sea. You can move around the island via a well-organized bus service that links Fira to most other parts. Everything here is beautiful, and it has the power to inspire anyone as they appreciate the wonders of nature.
- Panoramic view from the hotels at the top of the cliff can’t be compared to anything
- Visit volcanoes and experience the wonders and magic of nature
- Most of the towns are not far from the capital, Fira, and there are very effective transport to go around and explore
- Tourists can be assured of a wonderful time while they visit restaurants, bars, and cafes serving quality meals
- The Caldera towns are also known for having a warm-hearted atmosphere, which is made possible not just by the weather but by the attitude of the people who reside there
- Amazing sunset views that will remain in your memory forever
- Cave-like hotels with several stairs, Cliffside pools, and architecture with the best romantic settings ever
- Santorini Caldera towns are more expensive, compared to other places on the island
- Hot tubs are only lukewarm and not the right temperature because they’re not covered
Beachside Of Santorini
If you’re not cool with the cliffs, Calderas, and volcanoes, then you can try out the beach side. Santorini has a number of quality beaches offering the best services for locals and visitors. Perissa is regarded as the overall best beach you can visit in Santorini, especially for people who like beach parties. For families, you should consider Kamari because of the numerous facilities it has for kids. Red beach is the most unique because of the red sand, but might not be the best place for swimming. Vlychada and Eros are the romantic beaches of Santorini.
- Beaches have clear water and amenities that help you have a great time
- You can rent lounging chairs, umbrellas, and other amenities to relax by the sea
- Easy access to beaches via bus, car, or boat
- Family friendly beaches with amenities for kids to get busy
- Numerous hotels, shops, tavernas; offering great meals, amazing drinks, and quality handmade items
- Watersports available, which attracts young people
- Can be overcrowded, especially during August
- Some beaches are not very good for swimming
- Black pebbles make some beaches hard to walk
- Santorini beaches can sometimes be too windy